Sometimes systems of a learning disorder can show up later in a child's life. Sometimes when a child is home from school in the summer parents may notice something is a little off when it comes to their child performing a task or completing a assignment. So, a parent may suspect that their child has a disability, what do they do? The first thing a parent should do is look up their child's symptoms. This will educate the parent and help them narrow it down to what disability their child may be showing.
The next thing the parent should do is contact their child's grade special education teacher. Usually schools either have a special education teacher for each grade or a head special education teacher at their child's school. The special education teacher will most likely observe the student when they come back to school to see if they are showing and characteristics of a learning disability. If the child is showing characteristics of a disability they there should be screening meeting set up, where further testing will be proposed or the special education team will not recommend further testing.
This is just the beginning phase of the IEP process.
As always if you would like to suggest a topic please do so.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Whether your child is starting a new grade or going into middle or high school, some of these students/parents might have some serious anxiety over the start of school. So, what can we do to relieve some of this anxiety?
- Visit the school in the summer.
- Walk the students schedule several times.
- Have a personal meeting with the teachers.
- Meet with the students case manager to go over the students triggers.
- Have the student check in at lunch to assure them they are okay.
- Communicate with the students case manager on the progress during the day.
- If the student is a very sensitive student meet with the principle so the student has a familiar face.
The more familiar the student can be with their environment the better their first day will be.
As always let me know if you would like a topic to discuss????